This painting is of the constellation Scorpius, one of the zodiac constellations of the celestial sphere.The night sky has many stars, and they form pattern and shapes like clouds. Unlike clouds, the pattern can stay without noticeable change to the observer eye for thousands of years.
Some shapes and patterns are recognized worldwide, the pattern called constellations. Constellations are shapes of star patterns that are agreed upon by large number of people. This will give ease to one observer to another to define an area in the night sky.
The constellation that lay on the apparent path of the Sun and planets in the celestial sphere of the night sky are called zodiac constellations. The path called the ecliptic path. And there are 13 of them recognized by stargazers and astronomers, however, 12 are used for art and lore heavily. 12 is a better number for grouping them and easier to refer to them with the months of the year.
Scorpius is normally the 8th constellation listed in the zodiac constellation. The best time to observe this constellation is in Summer session around the month of June where it is found in the eastern horizon after Sunset and stay visible for the rest of the night until it reaches the western horizon around Sunrise.
The rest of the set:
- Aries Constellation painting
- Taurus Constellation Painting
- Gemini Constellation Painting
- Cancer Constellation Painting
- Leo Constellation Painting
- Virgo Constellation Painting
- Libra Constellation Painting
- Scorpio Constellation Painting
- Sagittarius Constellation Painting
- Capricorn Constellation Painting
- Aquarius Constellation Painting
- Pisces Constellation Painting